The Ph.D. in Management (Part-time)
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Part-time Ph.D. Program in Management is designed for practicing corporate executives and faculty members who aspire to become thought leaders in the domain of management. The main purpose of this program is to expose the experienced executives and faculty members from the diverse fields of management to develop the research inclination in order to gain in-depth understanding of business, management and consultancy skills to improve their ability for teaching, research and business management. The program complies with UGC Regulations 2016 for minimum standards and procedure for award of Ph.D Degree.Eligibility Criteria Academic qualifications
- a) Masters degree or professional degree declared equivalent to masters degree by relevant statutory bodies in management or allied subjects (e.g. Economics, Commerce, Public Administration etc.) with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade “B” in the UGC 7 point scale.
- b) M. Phil. Degree (in the concerned or an allied subject in which the student plans to pursue Ph.D. Program) with atleast 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade “B” in the UGC 7 point scale.
A minimum of 3 years service in Industry/Banking/Financial Services/ Government/ Academia etc.Induction:
After provisional admission into the Ph.D. Program all students will go through an Induction Session, at the University, wherein they are acquainted with the program methodology. Thereafter, course materials will be provided to each candidate for independent study.Course work:
All applicants who are provisionally admitted are required to take up course work for a period of one Semester. The objective of the Course Work is to acquaint, help and equip a research scholar with the current methodologies for undertaking research. Course Work consists of two courses, Course Work-1 and Course Work-2. Course Work-1 is a foundation course forresearch, which includes Research Methodologies and Techniques, Quantitative Methods, Computer Applications, Literature Survey, Statistical Analysis, Research Report Writing, Effective Presentations etc., Course Work-2 covers major functional areas of management and allied subjects, like strategy and technology which help the scholars to pursue research in contemporary and relevant areas for industry and society, which may be interdisciplinary. Coursework sessions are conducted by distinguished domain experts from industry and academia. All the students have to attend contact sessions for Course Work, conducted by the University, in two spells. Schedules for the contact sessions will be communicated to the students in advance. All scholars are evaluated in course work as per the regulations of the University. A scholar has to obtain minimum “C” grade in course work to be eligible to continue the program.Allocation of Supervisor
A candidate, after successful completion of the mandatory course work, will be allocated a Research Supervisor and Co-supervisor by the University, on the basis of research interest of the candidate, as indicated at the time of personal interview during the admission process.Preparation of Research Proposal
The candidate will identify a research topic and prepare the research proposal under the guidance of the supervisor. The same will be presented, in an open Seminar, in the presence of his/her Supervisor and the members of Research Board, for approval. If the presentation is adjudged satisfactory, the candidate will be registered for Ph.D. Program.Progress of Research work
- a) After approval of the research proposal and registration for Ph.D., the candidate will be required to do literature survey and formulate clearly the objective and scope of the thesis.
- b) Thereafter, the candidate will design the survey methodology and take up collection of the needed primary data/ take up the survey..
- c) The candidate should submit at the end of every semester, a report on the “Progress of research” and also present the same in a Seminar.
Pre-Submission Thesis Seminar
This seminar is to be presented by the candidate, whose Ph.D. Thesis is nearly ready for submission. The candidate is required to present the gist of the Ph.D. Thesis work in the prescribed format using Power Point. In addition, the student is required to bring with him/her the main data collected / survey reports or any other exhibits, considered important. Any feedback, comment or suggestion considered suitable by the Research board should be incorporated in the final manuscript of the Thesis.
Every student should publish at least one research paper in his/her chosen area in a refereed journal and make at least two paper presentations in conferences / seminars before submission of the thesis and produce evidence of the same in the form of acceptance letter or the reprint which is to be appended to the Thesis.
Submission of the Ph.D. Thesis and Evaluation
On submission of the final thesis in the prescribed format, it will be evaluated by a panel of examiners. If the panel is satisfied with the thesis, open Viva Voce examination will be conducted and the student’s performance is evaluated accordingly.
Prescribed fee is payable upto the semester in which the scholar is declared eligible for award of Ph.D degree.
Award of Ph.D. Degree
All the students who have completed the program successfully will be awarded Ph.D. degree in management from the University, subject to the University regulations.
This Program is for a minimum duration of three years including course work. Maximum duration of the program is six years, which may be extended, in exceptional cases, by one year. Women candidates and persons with disability (more than 40% disability) may be allowed relaxation of two years in the maximum duration.
The admission modalities are with reference to the Ph.D. Program in Management (part-time) offered by the ICFAI University, Jharkhand.Eligibility Criteria Academic qualifications
- Masters degree or professional degree declared equivalent to masters degree by relevant statutory bodies in management or allied subjects (e.g. Economics, Commerce, Public Administration etc.) with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade "B" in the UGC 7 point scale. OR
- M. Phil. Degree (in the concerned or an allied subject in which the student plans to pursue Ph.D. Program) with atleast 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade "B" in the UGC 7 point scale.
(min 3 yrs-max 6 yrs)Work Experience
A minimum of 3 years service in Industry/Banking/Financial Services/ Government/ Academia etc.
Applicants can obtain Application Form in any of the following ways:
- Purchase from the Admissions Office on payment of Rs. 1,000.
- Download from the University website (www.iujharkhand.edu.in) and fill it in your own handwriting.
- Fill the application form online www.iujharkhand.edu.in/online-registration.html
The selection of applicants into the Ph.D. Program is made through Application, Research Aptitude Test and Personal Interview.Research Aptitude Test
Research Aptitude Test will be conducted on May 11, 2019 on CBT (Computer Based Test) format at select
locations all over India (which will be given on the website by April 30,2019). Applicants holding, M.Phil. Degree in the same or
allied discipline, in which Ph.D. is being pursued, will be exempted from appearing for the Research Aptitude Test.
Research Aptitude Test will be for 2 hours and will test the contemporary knowledge of the applicant in broad areas of management and aptitude for research.It contains 100 Multiple Choice Questions in 4 sections. Each question carries one mark and there is no negative marking for wrong answers.
1. Research Aptitude ( 25 questions ) – broadly covers Research Methodology aspects
2. Quantitative Aptitude (30 questions)- covers logical reasoning , data Interpretation ,data sufficiency etc.
3. Current Business Affairs ( 25 questions )- covers developments in Economy, Industries and Companies
4. Functional Areas of Management ( 20 questions ) – covers concepts and applications in Marketing, Finance, HR/OB , Strategy and IT
The applicants who qualify in the Research Aptitude Test will have to go through a personal interview at the
University, wherein the students’ motivation to pursue the program and the broad areas in which the student
would like to pursue research will be discussed. The admission decision will be communicated after the interview
Original Certificates of academic qualifications and domicile certificates should be produced for verification at the time of registration. The original certificates will be returned after verification.
The applicants also have to submit “No Objection Certificate” from the current employer (in the prescribed format) at the time of registration.
The applicants are advised to read the guidelines carefully before completing the Application Form for Admission.
- Please make sure that you meet the eligibility criteria before filling up the form.
- Fill the Application Form in Capital Letters.
- Provide all the available information under appropriate sections.
- Make sure to sign the Application Form (in case it is not filled online).
- Retain a photocopy of the completed Application Form.
- Enclose DD for Rs. 1,000 drawn in favour of "The ICFAI University, Jharkhand - Fee Collection A/c" in case the application was downloaded from the University website OR receipt for Rs. 1,000 in case it was purchased from the University OR NEFT payment receipt for Rs. 1,000.
Students have to enclose self attested copies of the following certificates
- Date of Birth Certificate/Class X Certificate.
- Marksheets / Degree certificates (as may be applicable).
- Experience Certificate.
The completed Application Form for Admission along with a DD / NE FT payment receipt / Receipt for Rs. 1,000 (as the case may be) should be submitted at:
Campus: The ICFAI University, Jharkhand, #2065, Daladali Chowk,
Simalia, Near Ring Road, Ranchi - 835 222, Jharkhand.
Ph: 072570-04501 to 504
Admission Fee :
Admission fee of Rs. 10,000 is to be paid by all the selected applicants immediately after the admission decision is announced but not later than June 10, 2019.Program Fee :
The program fee is Rs. 40,000 per semester for students domiciled in Jharkhand and Rs. 45,000 per semester for nondomiciled
students. Students should register for every semester and pay the fee at the beginning of the semester,
as per the due dates, which will be indicated in the Student Handbook. The first semester fee is to be paid by
Students belonging to the State of Jharkhand with a "Domicile Certificate" issued by the competent authority.Non-Domicile:
Other students who are not domiciled in the State of Jharkhand.Remittance :
All payments should be made by way of Demand Draft in favor of "The ICFAI University,
Jharkhand - Fee Collection A/c" payable at Ranchi,Jharkhand.
Remittance can also be made through NEFT, as per the following details of the University Bank Account.
The following details should be provided to the University by the students on remittance of fee through NEFT:
ADMISSION CALENDAR (Admissions Closed)
|Admission Calendar for Ph.D Program|
|Last Date for Submission of Completed Application Form||April 16, 2019|
|Research Aptitude Test Date Computer Based Test at select locations all over India||May 11, 2019|
|Interview and Admission Decision at ICFAI University, Jharkhand||June 08 & 9, 2019|
|Last Date for Payment of Admission Fee||June 10, 2019|
|Reporting at the ICFAI University for submission of Certificates and Verification by producing originals||June 10, 2019|
|Registration and payment of Admission Fee & First Semester Fee||June 10, 2019|
|Commencement of First Semester*||June 10, 2019|
The main purpose of this program is to expose the experienced executives and faculty members
from the diverse fields of management to develop the research inclination in order to gain in-depth understanding of business,
management and consultancy skills to improve their ability for teaching, research and business management.